Monday 28 December 2015

OUGD601 Context of Practice 03 Practical Piece Developing Board 1Typographically

As detailed in the last post I decided that what I wanted to communicate with the lettering of my physical proximity board was that of the hand drawing the letters. To do this I used my Type reference book 'Hand to Type' for inspiration and created a number of small sample lettering styles, split up into the quote that I have chosen for the board. I tried everything that I thought could communicate the hand, form handwriting like styles to more caligraphic and cursive forms.





Looking back on the page I feel that the best communicator of the hand is the brush pen lettering style shown in the word 'and'. Thi is because the flowing curves and directional italicisation creates a sense of movement and animation.

I then brought this lettering style across to the fist few words of the quote in full to see if it could reall work.


I Think that this active flow f the lettering style works realy well, especially when using different sizes and playing with layout a bit. Howver, I do feel that I could make this style even better by experimenting with a slightly uneven baseline, to add a note of imperfection to make it seem all the more human. Also to increase the feeling of flow between the letters I want to try ot increasing the spacing to allow the letter connecters more dominance on the board. I also looked at how scale and layout could be used on the board to draw attention to the order in which the words should be read but also so that the construction lines I am going to be leaving in can be used to their best advantage. I have also drawn in how I see the dust clouds encroaching on the top and bottom of the board and fading around he edges ot the lettering. I want to do some actual trial on the board to see how the chalk will sit and to what intensity the clour transfers so that perhaps it is more of a case of covering the board completely, as yu would when seasoning a board before use, and rub away the area that the lettering is going to be. To completely show every stage of the process.


I tried a sample of the lettering with an uneven base line. Its something that I think needs to be evenly balanced with slight vriations that do not effect the legibility of the lettering. I also did a small thumbnail that developed from the layout of the quote that I had so far. Mostly this was abut interlocking the ascenders with the decenders above and allowing the connectives to be smaller, less dominant parts of the layout. I also continued the lettering, not in layout, to show how the continuity of the style can be maintained throughout the quote. I also looked at how the constrution lines could work around the layout planned. I think I have decided to balance the scale of the words by having two set sizes that I am going to sketch out next. This means that the connectives are all relatively small (like the 'and' in the sketch above) and the main words such as 'chalk' and 'hand'.







No comments:

Post a Comment