Sunday 12 January 2014

OUGD405 Studio brief 03 Grid Research

After my first layout designs it became apparent that I would really need to look into Grids and layout so I got the book 'Making and Breaking the Grid'.


What really illuminated things for me was the Grid Basic section in which Samara outlines why designers use grids.
"Before anything else, a grid introduces order to a layout, distinguishing types of information and easing a users navigation through them."
Another theme that keeps turning up is the ides that grids establish a strong continuity throughout a piece of work. This is something I wish to apply to my designs so I want to consider the widely applicable sides of my designs so that even with alterations they can work together.
"Building an effective grid for a given project means thoughtfully assessing that projects specific content."
This is something that I have attempted to implement already but I want to continue this by making sure that there is a reason for every aspect of the layout I create that relates to the subject matter.
"One line after another becomes a paragraph. It's  no longer simply a line, but a shape with a hard and soft edge. The hard creates a reference to the page, and as it stretches out in depth, the paragraph becomes a column, simultaneously breaking space and becoming a space in its self."





This extract summarises my largest epiphany from reading sections of this book is the way the smallest of 
details effect the overall layout and look of the page much more than would be expected. When creating my layouts I need to be aware of every decision (default of the program or otherwise) so that I have complete control over the designs.


The image to the right is also something that caught my eye. The way that aspects of the grid are included in the design really grounds something that might have seemed detached and free floating. I could incorporate this into my designs possibly in the form of line or corners.

No comments:

Post a Comment