Tuesday 12 January 2016

OUGD601 Context of Practice 02 Practical Piece Creating the Time Lapse

From previous experiences of editing videos, I knew that what I needed to do with this video was simple and so more advanced program such as final cut pro just wasn't needed. So, instead I used iMovie. iMovie also allows easy editing of the speed of replay as shown below. I mostly made the film x20 speed. However, as suggested by my research into other time lapse videos I did slow down to x4 sometimes to show the social interaction facilitated by the project when people came into the frame.


Because of the scale and amount of film the whole process was excessive it took a while to pick out the bits that were most relevant but the full library display helped that. I also used some gentle cross dissolve transitions in places where there were large changes in the visuals, such as a bit jump foreword in time. I also had a few shots that were a little out of focus and the transitions helped to make this less noticeable.


I spent a long time thinking about music choices and whether copy right laws apply to something that is completely none profit and harpy being shared. I decided not because it seemed fine for my previous projects and the music is all already freely available on youtube. I chose two songs, one for each video, which each details the creation of two boards. The songs were This is the Beginning and Little Numbers by BOY. They combined the sense of time passing with a fast rhythm and an upbeat open natural sound which fits with the visual content of the videos. Again because of my research into time lapse videos I matched cuts and changes to the rhythm of the music. Most difficult was how to finish both videos, leaving enough music at the end without visuals to fade out to but also not making it seem unnatural and abrupt. In the end I settles on finishing with the penultimate bar of music, which made the most natural effect.




No comments:

Post a Comment